Thursday, October 18, 2012

When I began this blog, I had no idea how difficult it would be to keep up with any amount of writing, much less create new blog posts on any sort of regular schedule.  After taking a lengthy break (which is easy to do when you don't have many followers), I don't know that I am any better prepared for the task, but I do want to share a few things that we are doing this year.

One of the challenges we have faced this year is a need to homeschool on a very limited budget.  This has required a tremendous amount of internet research in order to find good resources at low or no cost.  Some of the jewels I am using this year include:

abcmouse.com to supplement kindergarten skills

sparknotes.com for their quizzes and essay question suggestions for classic literature (We have been doing a lot of Shakespeare for senior English.)

khanacademy.org - for my youngest daughter who has a great conceptual grasp of math concepts but becomes intimidated when she sees that material is two or three grade levels above her grade

I will save some of the others to discuss later.  These are just a few of the tools that we are using this year.  We are also planning to do NaNoWriMo again this year, which fits well with the creative writing course I am teaching.  If you have kids that love to write or kids who think they couldn't possibly write enough to fill a book, check out the Young Writer's Program at nanowrimo.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment